Wednesday, September 8, 2010

First Day of School

Sarah started her first day of preschool today at Bethlehem Christian Academy (BCA). Sarah has been looking forward to this day for years. She has been asking me for almost 2 years now when she could start school. Today was the day and my heartstrings were definitely pulled!
Several weeks ago, I took her to Belk's to pick out a "first day of school" new dress.
Mark went in late to work this morning, so he could experience the excitement with us. I am so thankful he was able to be there with us. I needed his strength as we walked away with one less little set of feet.
Sarah starting her coloring page this morning at her table.
I will love you forever Sarah! I am thrilled you are able to be in a Christian learning environment with biblical standards being taught and the opportunity for you to be around other little people your age.
Sarah telling Hannah bye-bye before we left. I cannot even start processing the fact that Hannah will be here in 3 years - AAHHH!!!
Sarah's teacher's name is Mrs. Teresa, and the assistant's name is Mrs. Kristie.

Hannah and I left "Sissy" at school and met my friend at Chick-fil-A for breakfast and then had a field trip to Monroe for some antiquing time.

It is definitely strange being on this end of things as opposed to being on the teacher end. My mind wonders back to the years when I taught first grade - granted a little different than pre-k - nonetheless still leaving one's child with another adult. I hope I came across as being reassuring, patient, and understanding with the parents and children. As I drove away, I started thinking: "Oh dear, what have we done, will she be okay without us, will she remember to go potty, will she remember that I love her, will she be okay if I am the last one in the carpool line to pick her up??" I prayed as I drove away, and knew that God had her in His hands protecting her every step. God gave me the peace to move on and know that He is in control.

Before I knew it, 3 hours were gone, and I had to zip back to Bethlehem. I really enjoyed spending the morning with Hannah. I look forward to having a lot more Hannah & Mommy time.
AH - deep breath!!! Safe and sound back in my "arms"!!! She had a splendid morning! Wow - 3 hours zip by very quickly! She hopped in the van, and said, "I learned how to spell the number one." Then, proceeded to spell it for me. Later she told me her teacher read the book, "The Kissing Hand" to the class, which is what I read to her a few weeks ago in preparation for school starting.

As a mother, I want to hear ALL about the entire the day, but I am learning to be patient and get the little tid-bits as they come to mind. Hannah and I took Sarah out for lunch - her choice - so we ended up at Taco Bell. Sarah asked me what Hannah and I did while she was at school. I told her we went antiquing with my friend, and her response was , "School was a lot more fun than antiquing!" I am so glad she feels that way. So, she will go again on Friday! Right now, she has to do some homework: locate 4 circle objects in the house and bring them in to show the class and learn her bible verse: "All things were made by Him."

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yay! So glad she had a great time and that the 3 hours zipped by for you! Love the after-school pic. Don't you love how nice and put-together their hair looks after a few hours of school? LOL

Amy R. said...

I am so glad she had a good day and you did too! The worst day is behind you. It just gets easier from here. Her dress is cute!

Mack said...

Proud of you and her!!! You have prepared her so well!