Sunday, April 24, 2011

Refashioned Skirt

I learned my lesson about washing instructions for clothing. The label said "hand wash only". Well, I was trying to do it the easy way, and well, let's just say the skirt was unwearable. The side seems had been frayed. Weep! Weep! Remember, it was my favorite skirt and has polka-dots, which makes it even cuter!!!

I couldn't bare to toss it, and I really do not have a clue about sewing enough to salvage it form the disaster. So, I decided to cut it up and reuse in my home decor!!!

I have had this floor lamp in the attic for several years waiting to find a home for it in our already tiny quarters. It was black, so I decided to spray paint it white to bring out the adorable white polka-dots in the "skirt".
I sprayed the lamp shade and skirt with spray adhesive, then placed the fabric carefully on the shade. I then used burlap I already had from a previous project to make a dainty ruffle/skirt around the bottom of the shade. I thought it needed something else, I added some thick twine around the bottom of the shade as well for a finishing touch.
I think it turned out adorable. I looks so cute next to my Papa's old school desk that I rescued from my parents' garage. The dainty white teapot on the desk was given to my parents when they married, and I think it adds to the antiquity of this space.

So, there you go - favorite skirt turned favorite lamp!!!

1 comment:

Amy R. said...

You know I love it!