We loaded up the truck and headed up to
Dockery Lake National Forest in the North Georgia mountains just north of Dahlonega. We arrived about noon on Saturday, and it was already a bit chilly. Thankfully, we came prepared for the cooler temps. The girls and I watched from the tail gate as Mark set up camp. There were only 10 camping sites with only 3 available for occupancy. We chose campsite #4.

After Mark set up the tent, we made our way down to Dockery Lake for a nature hike.

Cute little bridge crossing over a stream. Just wish the shadows weren't in their faces.

Big sister helping little sister!


Another cute photo op on our nature walk.

Back at camp waiting for sunset to roast marshmallows.


Roasting hot-dogs the old fashioned way. Then, of course, we made smores for dessert. Yummy and messy!

Hannah waiting for her food.

Getting the girls ready for bedtime - more layers!!!

Hannah fell asleep in my lap as I was singing to her. It was a precious time she and I had together. Big Sissy got to stay up late with Mommy and Daddy - only 9:00. The thing about camping is that one needs to go to bed with the sun, because one wakes up with the sun.

Whew! What a night!!! Let's just say I should not have read the sign posted in the check-in area about "Bears being Active!" That just did it for me! I have always handled camping in the elements pretty well, but this time was different. My mind had me in panic mode twice during the night, once at 11 p.m. and once at 4:00 a.m. The wind was whipping around at 25 miles/hour, and in a tent, that's a lot! I thought I was hearing foot steps in the gravel and things being opened up around our truck. Granted we had the truck locked up and the keys were in the tent with us. I was in severe panic mode thinking a bear was in our campsite and scratching at our tent. I was literally shaking with fear, so I woke Mark up and told him there was a bear outside our tent. He said, "Amy, you're crazy. Go back to sleep, because anyway, I'm not going out there if there even if there is a bear. Just be quiet and go to sleep." UUUMMMM.....Okay, honey - thanks! So, I laid there stiff as a board, wide eyed, ears keen to every sound, and began to pray for the Lord to protect us. We had no gun, no baseball bat, no nothing to defend ourselves against this grizzly beast. I knew the only way to survive was to PRAY! The Lord began to calm me down and ease my adrenalin, so I eventually drifted off to sleep. Of course, I was the first to wake again, then Hannah, then Mark, and finally, Sarah. I had Mark walk out of the tent first to check out the damage. What did he find you ask? NOTHING! Praise The Lord, the Bear ended up being the whipping wind!!! Thank the Lord that night is over!!!

The girls trying on Mark's hard hat he uses for job-site visits.

We decided as we headed out of town to take an adventure and find a waterfall. We came across
Helton Creek Falls on our way to Cleveland.

We were stinky and nasty with campfire smell and no shower, so I am sure people along the trail got the whiff as we strolled by. Good thing we were still outdoors and not cooped up some place.

It was a long way down a trail with lots of uneven steps, rocks, and roots.

We made it to the bridge to the upper waterfall; however, the bridge had been closed off because a large tree had fallen on it from the tornadoes that passed through this area this year. So, our view was not as close as we wanted, but it was still beautiful.

This is the lower waterfall. I love these pics of the girls. The colors are so vibrant!

Gotta love Hannah's blue mouth after eating her ring pop and still wearing her pajamas.

I am loving this photo with the foliage above. Good thing I am all covered up with my hat and sunglasses, since I was still in camping mode - if you know what I mean.

We had a wonderful quick trip to the North Georgia mountains for our annual family camping adventure. When I am in the midst of camping and being gross, I ask myself, why on earth am I doing this??!! I must really love my man to be out here in these elements; however, after we arrive home and the laundry is completed, I know that it was all worth it. Making memories as a family is completely worth my not sleeping, being nasty, and freezing. Praise the Lord for His protection and peace!
I think I may bring a baseball bat next time - just in case!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment